Sunday, December 2, 2018

Alpha

Alpha


As i have been working on my game levels it has become clear to me about how little i still know about the power unity gives you. for a free program, there is an incredible amount of features available to play around with and include in your game design. Even with watching at least 3 tutorials each week i still dont feel that i could have completed any full level of my game without having to refer back to tutorials or the internet for help. it amazes me that such huge games in both design complexity and user popularity could be designed completely using the Unity software. I have found it extremely challenging to use the program and although i have progressed with designing in unity i still do not feel comfortable using the program and wouldn't have the confidence to attempt to create another game in my spare time. one huge difficulty i have found whit designing my game is getting things perfected in my design. i do think that unity is well thought out and easy to use but it is definitely a professional program and i would have enjoyed the program more if there was more of a simple drag and drop setup for assets. Im also impressed with the amount of free assets available on the asset store and i have found this to be a really great help in terms of exploring new looks for my game and to see what is possible in terms of design within unity. if i look back on my expectations of time management and goal setting in my first few weeks there has definitely been some changes made. i have found it very difficult to plan out my blog posts for the weeks and try to incorporate each of my tutorials and also creating my beta and alpha games on top of all this. I do prefer the 100% CA style of module and i would not want a final exam on game design but i have really struggled to keep up with the huge workload in this module. for the time i have spent with making my game i am somewhat happy with my game but of course it could have been much better if the game was the main focus for the rest of the semester as opposed to the blogs. having said this, i feel that working through up to date tutorials, like the Jimmy Vegas ones,each week is a really good way to learn the basics of Unity and what can be done to improve the overall look of your game.
A screengrab of my Level 1 start point

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Unity can be quite difficult to use, but your game looks like it is going well so far, even if you are having trouble with it. The textures look good and it seems like you put a lot of effort into what you have so far. I think that even though it's difficult you seem to have the basics down, for example adding textures and things like that. I looked back on your blog and I really liked your game idea as I think if it was finished it could actually work so well, so I think it would be really cool to have it developed into an actual game, although I agree that Unity can be quite difficult to work with. In my opinion, what you have so far is quite good anyways and you should keep developing your game as much as you can

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian,
    Wow from that picture your game looks like its coming along very nicely. I agree with you that unity is very hard to use and I am having a lot of trouble I with it. Every time I try to download assets my laptop freezes and I have to force quit unity meaning all my work is lost! has this happened to you yet?? Even though you said you are having trouble it seems as if you know the basics which is good. I had a look at your previous blog posts before this and I think your game has been developed very well from your first idea. I think your game will be easy to use and everyone will enjoy it! Looking forward to seeing your finished game! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete